Step Up Overview
Step up and make a difference in your community.
Step Up CapRescue is a newly developed program that aims to create stronger connected communities through the engagement of volunteers, payroll contributors and business supporters in the regions that we service. Community engagement is vital to help keep our service in the air and free of charge to the people of the Capricorn Region. Currently, the Step Up CapRescue program consists of workplace giving and volunteers.
For over 21 years, RACQ Cap Rescue has relied on the generous contribution of volunteers to keep the service operating. As our organisation and fundraising endeavours grow, so does the need to expand our volunteer workforce.
Currently our organisation hosts and supports dozens of events each year that rely on the assistance of volunteers. These events are spread far and wide across the Capricorn region and often require a team of more than three volunteers per event. The volunteer duties can be quite demanding, requiring volunteers who are physically capable of carrying out challenging tasks. For these reasons we cannot continue to attend and host such events with the number of volunteers that we currently have.
Along with many other charities we are seeing a steady decline in the number of volunteers signed on to our service. Likely contributing factors are:
- People are busier than ever before. The ABS found that 75 per cent of people are feeling rushed or pressed for time. Forty per cent said they felt this way always or often.
- An out-dated Volunteer Program lacking flexibility, processes, policies and procedures. Including recognition strategies.
- Awareness of our Volunteer Program and need for volunteers in the community is poor.
Where to from here?
Our vision for the Step Up CapRescue Volunteers is to create stronger connected communities, through the engagement of volunteers in the regions that we service. With this in mind, we are hoping to recruit a solid team of volunteers who are dedicated to both our organisation and their community. Our Volunteer Program will:
- Include flexible roles that fit around the commitments of family, work and social priorities.
- Target middle-aged men and women. According to the ABS, those most likely to volunteer are in the 35-44 age group. Almost 40 per cent volunteered in the last 12 months.
- Encourage family, youth and corporate volunteering.
- Communicate and market the benefits of Dr Megan Paull, a senior lecturer at Murdoch University says that people benefit significantly from volunteering, increasing their skills, happiness, health, self-confidence and awareness of the world.
Thiess is the naming rights partner for our newly developed volunteer program, Step Up CapRescue Volunteers. Thiess is the world’s largest mining services provider. The team offers the widest range of in-house surface and underground mining capabilities across Australia, Botswana, Canada, Chile, Indonesia and Mongolia. Thiess’ expertise spans most of the world’s commodities including metallurgical and thermal coal, copper, diamonds, gold, iron ore, lignite, nickel and oil sands. Thiess believes community outcomes and positive social performance are achieved through integrity, understanding and recognition of community values. Thiess creates and delivers significant social benefits through local employment and training, local procurement, community engagement and Indigenous affairs.
Our partnership with Thiess will ensure that the Step Up CapRescue Volunteer program will reach our goal of creating stronger connected communities. With the support of Thiess, we will be able to recruit a solid team of volunteers from around our region who are dedicated and will strive to meet our vision.
How do I get involved?
Are you interested in becoming a Cap Rescue volunteer? Click here for more information on how to be part of Step Up CapRescue Volunteers, supported by Thiess.