Top things to do in Rockhampton over the school holidays!
Posted on March 31st, 2021
Top 5 things to do in Rockhampton over the school holidays!
1. Discover over 60 species of native and exotic animals at the Rockhampton Zoo with chimpanzees, saltwater crocodiles, kangaroos, otters and an array of colourful birds in the Avery. Don’t miss out on the ‘Keeper talks’ in the afternoons where the expert keepers talk about how they care for the animals and what they like to eat! Entry is free – to plan your trip, head to https://www.rockhamptonzoo.com.au/Home.
2. After you’ve explored the Zoo, take a short stroll to the Rockhampton Botanic Gardens and immerse yourself in tropical paradise. The Japanese Gardens provide peace and tranquillity, while the Cenotaph at the centre of the gardens honours our Australian soldiers. Pack a picnic and set up near the kids playground or head to the Gardens Tearoom for some delicious food and coffee.
3. Explore the beautiful Kershaw Gardens that stretches one kilometre parallel to the Bruce Highway. It provides an attractive, peaceful setting with spacious parklands, walking tracks, play areas for the kids and a magnificent waterfall. The newly redeveloped playground has a number of all-abilities features including an all abilities harness for the 30 metre double flying fox an omnispinner, a birds nest swing and sensory experiences. Pack a picnic or use the free BBQ’s to cook up a storm!
4. Fish the Fitzroy! Take the kids on an adventure and fish along the Fitzroy River. Rockhampton is an ideal fishing destination – the river is full of barramundi, salmon and plenty of other species to get you hooked. Whether you’re fishing from your boat or the bank, you are sure to take home a decent catch.
5. Take a stroll along the Rockhampton Riverside Walk and enjoy the gentle river breezes. While you’re there, head to East Street where you’ll find an abundance of local cafes, restaurants and shops to explore. Grab a coffee or some food for the kids and continue your stroll along the majestic city streets, discovering the intriguing stores behind some of Rockhampton’s elegant, historical buildings.